2020 kicks off with the high profile release of "Joker" starring Joaquin Phoenix, A24's celebrated "The Lighthouse," the second season of HBO's "Big Little Lies" and the Blu-ray debut of Rian Johnson's "Brick."
- Director Todd Phillips teamed with writer Scott Silver and actors Joaquin Phoenix and Robert De Niro for "Joker," a Martin Scorsese influenced take on the classic DC Comics character.
- Writer/director Robert Eggers made a splash with the art house horror"The Witch." "The Lighthouse" sees the filmmaker pairing Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson as two lighthouse keepers who begin to lose their minds when a storm cuts them off from the world.
- A Sundance Film Festival alum, "Paradise Hills" is a cotton-candy flavored story about a reform school that strips the spirited girls of their independence and reshapes them as the model citizens that high society requires them to be. Some students are more defiant than others. Emma Roberts stars with Awkwafina, Danielle Macdonald, Jeremy Irvine, Eiza González and Milla Jovovich.
Web & Television Series
- The second season of HBO's critically acclaimed drama "Big Little Lies" sees Meryl Streep joining Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley, Zoë Kravitz and Laura Dern as the city of Monterey, California, tries to put up the idealyc facade in the wake of last season's murder.
- Based on Helen FitzGerald's novel, "The Cry" stars Jenna Coleman as Joanna Lyndsay, the mother of a four-month-old baby who goes missing while she and her fiancé are visiting Australia.
- Brenda Blethyn returns for a ninth season of detective drama "Vera" as Detective Chief Inspector Vera Stanhope from the popular crime novels written by Ann Cleeves.
- "Girl on the Third Floor" is a gory, well-received haunted house story featuring Phillip 'CM Punk" Brooks as a husband who begins renovations on an old home only to discover that something sinister and angry lives within the walls.
- Daniel de Oliveira stars as Stênio, a man works nights at a busy inner-city morgue in "The Nightshifter." Stênio can speak to the dead and their tales become increasingly personal as he slowly unravels.
- "The Shed" finds Stan and Dommer, a pair of bullied friends, who discover a vampire in the Stan's backyard shed. The duo decide to set a trap by luring their enemies into the shed.
- Considered by many to be a classic noir-influenced mystery, Rian Johnson's debut "Brick" stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt as a young man trying to piece together a string of clues to locate his ex-girl friend who appears to be in danger.
- Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant star in George Cukor's 1938 remake of "Holiday," Philip Barry's stage play about the culture clash between a self-made man and his fiancée's family's old wealth.
- "Snatchers" is a horror comedy with sci-fi leanings that impressed audiences at SXSW. The tale finds a high school senior waking up nine months pregnant after one night with her boyfriend when he returns from his summer vacation.