MENU

3 dogs die in Ogden house fire

KUTV Fire Truck Lights 07132019.png
Three dogs died in a house fire in Ogden early Friday morning. (File Photo: KUTV)

Three dogs died in a house fire in Ogden early Friday morning.

At approximately 5:10 a.m., Ogden Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 2950 South 1400 East. Upon arrival, crews reported smoke and flames coming from the home, according to a press release from Ogden Fire.

Ogden Fire stated there were no occupants inside the residence at the time of the fire. Firefighters made entry into the home and quickly extinguished the flames.

While the firefighters battled the fire, additional crews performed a primary search and found four dogs inside. Only one of the dogs was safely rescued and the three other animals did not survive the fire.

Initial damage is estimated to be around $60,000. According to a statement from Ogden City Fire's deputy chief, the fire was caused by improper use of extension cords.

"The cause of the fire has been determined as an improper use of extension cords," the deputy chief stated on Facebook. "Please remember to not overload any electrical circuit. Extension cords are for temporary use only and should never be used when coiled or knotted, or not in fully extended position."

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER