Body camera footage of chase, shooting involving armed robber in Salt Lake released

shooting - video from 2News viewer 2.JPG
Body camera footage of a shootout between a gunman and police was released on Friday. The gunman was killed during the gunfire exchange on April 19. (Photo: Screen grab from 2News viewer video)

Body camera footage of a shootout between a gunman and police officers in South Salt Lake was released on Friday during a press conference.

Captain Jeff Kendrick with the Salt Lake City Police Department (SLCPD) recounted the sequence of events using street camera videos, 911 calls and body camera footage.

At approximately 10:06 a.m. on April 8, police were called to a Holiday Oil in Taylorsville after an armed robber tried to steal a case of beer. When 37-year-old Harold Vincent Robinson of West Valley City was confronted by a customer, he brandished a handgun and fled the scene.

A second armed robbery call came into the Unified Police Department. Robinson had fired his gun and fled the scene.

Witnesses reported hearing gunshots at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Salt Lake City. They reported seeing a man flee the scene in a white pickup truck.

Robinson continued firing rounds as he drove down State Street and police pursuit ensued. The white pickup crashed at 3339 S. State Street. At that time, the gunman and police exchanged gunfire, and Robinson died.

After the shooting, 15 police officers were placed on administrative leave: 10 from the Salt Lake City Police Department (SLCPD), three from the Utah Highway Patrol (UHP) and two from Unified Police Department (UPD).

The SLCPD got 65 calls about this incident. Kendrick said this was the first time the department had dealt with a mobile shooter in the downtown area.

Kendrick explained Robinson's has a criminal history, including charges for assault, assault with substantial bodily injury, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a weapon.

Download the 2News mobile app on the App Store or Google Play.