MENU

Salt Lake County resident dies from THC vaping-related lung injury

kutv jim vaping schools 092619 (1).PNG

A person, who lives in Salt Lake County, has died because of a vaping-related lung injury, according to the Utah Department of Health. (Photo: KUTV)

A person, who lived in Salt Lake County, has died because of a vaping-related lung injury, according to the Utah Department of Health.

This is the first person in Utah to die from the illness.

RELATED: Is there really a 'vaping health crisis?' What we know...

The individual was under the age of 30 and died at their residence without being hospitalized prior to their death. No other information will be released about the person's identity.

According to a press release, the individual vaped THC prior to their death.

“This death is a sad reminder of the severity of these unexplained illnesses,” Dr. Angela Dunn, UDOH state epidemiologist, stated in a press release. “Based on what we know about this outbreak and what may be contributing to it, our best advice to the public is to stop vaping products that contain THC.”

Seventy-six cases of vaping-related lung injuries, with 14 other potential cases, are currently under investigation in Utah. More than 90 percent of the patients were hospitalized and many of them required intensive care treatment.

UDOH reports that 94% of the cases self-reported vaping THC products.

Health officials believe unregulated THC cartridges may be responsible for the nationwide lung-related illness outbreak.

Cases have surpassed 1,000 and a total of 19 people have died.

The Food and Drug Administration is analyzing products from 18 states. Neither the FDA nor the Center for Disease Control have pinpointed an electronic cigarette, vaping device, liquid or ingredient as the root of the cause.

Officials are asking the public to stop using unregulated THC cartridges until more information is collected.


FOLLOW US ON TWITTER