MENU

South Duchesne residents urged to boil water after case of giardia discovered

Water_MGN.jpg
Residents in South Duchesne are advised to boil their water after one person was reported sick and water samples failed to showed no chlorine residual in treated water. (Photo: MGN)

Residents in South Duchesne are advised to boil their water after one person was reported sick and water samples failed to show no chlorine residual in treated water.

On Thursday, the Utah Department of Health notified South Duchesne of a case of Giardia that could be related to drinking water. It is a single-cell parasite that in one form is a cyst that can live in water and then cause digestive problems, like severe diarrhea. The sickness follows a water main break in Duchesne, that supplies the water, and samples taken after the repair that showed no chlorine residual.

Residents are advised to boil any water that is used for drinking, ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes and food preparation should be brought to a boil and then boiled for five minutes. People at increased risk should seek advice about drinking water from their health care advisors. Anyone who suspects a potential giardia ill is asked to immediately contact a health care provider.

City officials and the health department continue to investigate and said more information would be provided as soon as possible. The boil notice is in place until further notice.

South Duchesne said it is taking the following steps to confirm the safety of water:

  • Fix all breaks in the system
  • Re-establish the chlorine residual levels
  • Check for any cross-connections in the system
  • Continue to take water samples and chlorine residuals


FOLLOW US ON TWITTER