Man suspected of killing Ogden police officer had past weapons charge

Ogden Police Department car the belonged to{ }24-year-old Nathan Lyday. (Photo: Jeremy Harris / KUTV)

The man shot and killed yesterday, and suspected to be responsible for the shooting death of Ogden police officer Nathan Lyday, was a 53-year-old man who had a previous weapons charge.

Police declined to say what they believe happened Thursday at a press conference but identified John Benedict Coleman and his birthday on Ogden Police Department's Facebook page with a brief press release. Photos of Coleman are not available. He also had a 1986 court date associated with a juvenile record. Ogden City Police Chief Randy Watt announced Lyday's death on Friday morning, identifying him a day after the slaying and said he had only been on the job for 15 months.

A search for Coleman's public records showed 11 possible addresses for him, four criminal filings, a handful of potential relatives and three possible places of employment. Coleman may have lived in Columbia, South Carolina, Durango, Colorado, Eugene, Oregon and Ogden, perhaps starting in 2014.

Coleman had a 1994 charge of illegal carrying of weapons in New Orleans with a $10,000 bond in March 1994 but he was released a few days later on his own recognizance, but didn't pay anything and then was "in the wind" for six years. An arraignment was set for a month later, but according to New Orleans Sheriff's Office documents obtained by 2News, he did not appear for the April 26, 1994 court date. Instead, his mother appeared and notified the court that he had moved.

The court set another arraignment date for a week later where Coleman again failed to appear. His mother told the court he couldn't be found. The court issued an alias capias warrant for $10,000 for Coleman's arrest. Bench warrants are used for misdemeanors while alias capias are applied to felony cases. In May of the same year, Coleman failed to appear for a bond forfeiture hearing and the court ordered the bond forfeited.

In August of 2000, Coleman appeared in the court with an attorney to face a domestic battery incident, a misdemeanor and the court recalled the alias capias and set aside the bond forfeiture while setting a trial. Later that month, Coleman appeared at the trial with his attorney and the court issued a release while charges were dismissed.