A Roy family is speaking exclusively with 2News about a fire at their home – and the quick-thinking actions of a local police sergeant who stepped in to extinguish the flames.
Connie Lowder was working from home Friday when she smelled smoke. She quickly found where that smell was coming from – the basement.
She grabbed the dog, Melva, and raced outside, dialing 911. That call was heard by Sergeant Matthew Gwynn, who had coincidently just passed the Lowder home.
He quickly turned his vehicle around and grabbed his fire extinguisher. He broke down the back door and quickly got the fire out.
However, how did it all start?
Well, Melva might actually be to blame. She was caught on surveillance video near the stove where the fire started, just minutes before the flames broke out.
The theory is that she jumped up on the stove looking for food and accidentally switched it on, nearby plastic quickly catching fire.
But her owners say they can’t be mad at this pooch.
And while Sgt Gwynn doesn’t consider himself a hero, it’s a good reminder to check your smoke alarm batteries and maybe invest in a fire extinguisher, just in case.