Suspect killed in shootout with officers in Midvale, 3 others arrested

900 MIDVALE POLICE SHOOTING V.transfer_frame_545.png
Scene in Midvale, Utah where an officer-involved shooting left one man dead and a wanted fugitive in custody. (Photo: KUTV)

UPDATE: 10 a.m., Sat., Sept. 19 — Police have identified the man shot and killed by police as Matthew C. Knowlden, 22. The other occupants of the vehicle were identified and booked into jail. Police identified them as Joseph J. Schultz, 24, Jeannie J. Brereton, 19, and Sasha A. Jones, 29.

The original story follows:

Officers from Unified Police shot and killed a man who investigators say fired at them during a chase Friday afternoon.

The person killed has not been identified, but Unified Police confirm he is an adult male who was with a fugitive who has been eluding officers for several weeks.

Investigators told 2News the fugitive who police were looking for is Joseph Schultz, 24, of West Valley City.

Friday’s encounter with Schultz and the other suspects began at a Motel 6 on 7200 South in Midvale. Police confronted Schultz as he was leaving in a vehicle and managed to get spike strips in front his car as it fled.

With deflating tires, the car led police on a chase westbound on 7200 South and stopped in the intersection with Bingham Junction.

According to police, Schultz and three other people ran from the vehicle.

“Another suspect produced a handgun and then fired a round at officers, officers, then returned fire,” Unified Police spokesperson Sgt. Melody Cutler told 2News.

That person was taken from the scene in an ambulance but later died.

Cutler said Schultz has been involved in multiple pursuits with officers in the last few weeks, most recently yesterday afternoon.

“He’s been wanted for robbery as well as many drive-by shootings, he’s continued to flee from officers every time we’ve encountered him,” Cutler said.

An officer-involved shooting protocol team is now in charge of investigating the shooting. The team is comprised of officers from other law enforcement agencies and the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office.

The identities of the deceased suspect and two women who were detained have not been released.